However, you’ll need to enlist the help of intuitive matching gift software if you want to truly make the most of the “two-for-one deal” of the fundraising world. But with all the matching gift databases out there, including Double the Donation, HEPdata, and Amply, there are a lot of factors to consider.
To help you get started with matching gift databases, we’ll be going over the following topics:
- What are matching gift databases and why are they important?
- What should you look for in a matching gift database?
- Our top picks for matching gift databases
By incorporating matching gifts into your digital fundraising strategy, there’s no telling by how much your nonprofit can increase fundraising revenue.
1. What are matching gift databases and why are they important?
Matching gift databases are collections of information related to corporate matching gift programs.
Matching gift databases house all of the specific information about thousands of companies’ matching gift programs.
This data could include:
- Links to matching gift request forms
- The name and contact information of the person in charge of the company’s program
- The minimum and maximum amounts that will be matched
- The match ratio
- Employee/retiree eligibility
- The types of nonprofits that the company will donate to
- And more!
Matching gift databases are important because they provide donors with the most comprehensive information about their employer’s matching gift program.
1. Donors looking to make an online donation can search for their employer using a matching gift database tool, like this one from Double the Donation.
2. With Double the Donation’s tool, donors can then review their employer’s matching gift policies to determine eligibility, matching gift ratios, and other relevant information.
3. Finally, donors can access links to their employer’s matching gift request forms as well as their submission process and deadlines.
Without a comprehensive matching gift database, your donors might have to sift through webpages or internal company files to find the information they need to submit a matching gift request.
Luckily, Double the Donation makes the matching gift process easier for both your donors and your organization. Databases like these take the hassle out of searching for the specific data a donor needs. They can make it easier for donors to submit matching gift requests, which means that your nonprofit receives extra donations even more quickly!
2. What should you look for in a matching gift database?
Now that you understand the importance of an effective database, be sure to recognize that not all matching gift databases are created equal! To find the one that will help you get the best bang for your buck, look at the five following qualities:
1. How often does the matching gift database get updated?
Some matching gift databases were put together years ago and haven’t been touched since. The information is now outdated and irrelevant.
Look for a matching gift database that regularly updates its records and keeps up with matching gift changes, big and small.
It’s important to note when companies update their matching gift programs. For example, many companies make changes in September or October in order to prepare for the new year of giving:
According to Double the Donation, “Some companies modify their matching gift programs on a whim, or tie their benefit plan changes to a fiscal year rather than calendar year. The majority of companies finalize their benefit plans in early September/October of each year. It’s during this time that changes to the core structure of each company’s matching gift program is typically outlined.”
Make sure you ask when the matching gift database you’re considering gets updated so your donors are getting the most relevant information possible. This is especially important when companies expand their matching gift programs in response to current events, because a good database will be up-to-date with that information as well!
2. Does the matching gift database prioritize electronic forms?
When donors are researching their company’s matching gift program, they want to be able to access the electronic form or PDF they need to submit a request.
If a matching gift database simply tells them to retrieve the form from their HR department, the donor might get frustrated or forgo the process altogether.
Instead, make sure that you look for a matching gift database that provides the electronic forms that your donors will need to make requests.
Of course, not every company has its matching gift paperwork online, but your matching gift database should have the online forms of those companies that have electronic submission processes.
3. Is the matching gift database easy for donors to understand?
Donors should be able to find and understand all of the information that your matching gift database provides.
If donors don’t know what to do with the data in your matching gift database, your nonprofit will miss out on matching gift opportunities.
Additionally, it’s important that your matching gift database includes all the information a donor needs. For instance, it should have information on the corporation’s:
- Matching gift ratio
- Maximum and minimum eligible amounts
- Types of nonprofits the corporation accepts matches donations from
- Guidelines on how to submit a request
This information helps donors determine if their gifts are eligible to be matched and what steps they need to take to submit a request.
For more about what your matching gift database should include, check out this helpful article on Fundly.
4. Can donors submit new companies and request updates within the matching gift database?
Your donors might work for companies that have matching gift programs that aren’t listed in a matching gift database yet. Or, there may be existing information that needs to be updated.
If that’s the case, you’ll want to make sure you select a matching gift database that allows donors to submit a new company or directly request updates.
One effective way you can invite donors to do this is through emails from your nonprofit that direct donors to your matching gift database. Let’s take a look at this example email from Double the Donation:
This is a great example of how your organization can engage with donors, encourage them to search the database, and invite them to request updates if needed.
5. What is the matching gift database’s coverage by market?
Your nonprofit will undoubtedly need the most comprehensive matching gift database possible. This way, you’re less likely to miss out on matching gift opportunities.
It’s important that your supporters are able to find their employers listed if they are, in fact, match eligible. Otherwise, they won’t know to submit a request!
Let’s use Double the Donation’s matching gift database as an example. In the United States, 15-19 million individuals are match eligible. Double the Donation’s database covers more than 99% of these individuals, which means they are more likely to find their employers listed in that matching gift search tool. Likewise, in Canada, Double the Donation is the only database provider with dedicated functionality, covering 93-99% of individuals who are match eligible.
3. Our top picks for matching gift databases
Now that you know all about matching gift databases, we’ve got two recommendations for you!
1. Double the Donation: Top Matching Gift Database for Small and Mid-sized Organizations
Double the Donation is the perfect matching gift database for small to mid-sized nonprofits that bring in less than $1 million a year in revenue and don’t use fundraising software that integrates with 360MatchPro by Double the Donation.
Double the Donation’s database is updated regularly, and donors are able to look up nearly every detail about their employer’s matching gift program.
How the Software Works
Using an embedded plugin, which is a core feature of Double the Donation’s premium plan, your donors can easily access the matching gift database to find matching gift information from their companies.
From there, donors can immediately begin submitting their match requests using the forms and instructions provided by the database.
Benefits of Double the Donation
Benefits of using Double the Donation’s matching gift database include:
- The matching gift database is user-friendly, which means donors will be able to easily search for their employers and understand the information they find.
- The matching gift database is customizable, so you can adjust it to match your organization’s branding (though it seamlessly fits onto any page without extra customization, too!).
- The matching gift database is comprehensive, listing more than 20,000 companies and subsidiaries.
Your donors will appreciate how seamless the integration looks, as well as the wealth of information Double the Donation can provide.
2. 360MatchPro: Top Matching Gift Database for Large Organizations
360MatchPro is Double the Donation’s end-to-end matching gift solution for large nonprofits and universities that bring in more than $1 million a year in revenue and/or organizations that use fundraising software that integrates with 360MatchPro.
360MatchPro uses Double the Donation’s comprehensive matching gift database to track your donors’ matching gift submission process when they donate to your nonprofit.
The best part? 360MatchPro automates the entire process, so you don’t have to do much to get the doubled donations rolling in.
How the Software Works
360MatchPro by Double the Donation automatically scans donor information provided during the donation process, searching specifically for matching gift eligibility.
Once identified, the software triggers customizable emails to these donors, based on their eligibility, encouraging them to take the relevant next steps to submit a match request. From there, your organization can track the progress of the match requests using 360MatchPro’s data tracking capabilities.
Benefits of 360MatchPro
Benefits of using 360MatchPro’s matching gift database include:
- Identifying more opportunities for matching gift revenue. 360MatchPro helps you automatically collect matching gift eligibility from donors via email domains, within donations forms, on confirmation screens, and by email. The more opportunities you find through 360MatchPro, the more match requests your donors will successfully submit.
- More matches driven to completion, from form submission to corporate payment. Immediately direct donors to their matching gift forms following the donation process. Then, provide the right information to the right donors at the right time with customized emails based on match eligibility. This type of targeted follow up drives more completed match requests than ever, boosting your matching gift revenue.
- Spending more time on top opportunities, rather than routine follow ups. When 360MatchPro automates your matching gift outreach, you don’t have to spend time chasing small dollar-value matching gifts. 360MatchPro will also flag your highest-value opportunities, which allows your team to personalize the follow ups to the most valuable match-eligible donations.
360MatchPro by Double the Donation is especially useful for large nonprofits bringing in more than $25,000 in matching gift revenue each year. If you don’t have enough staff, time, or resources to focus on matching gift outreach, 360MatchPro will be a valuable addition to your toolkit!
Hopefully you know more about matching gift databases than you did before. Don’t forget to do your research before you start shopping for a matching gift database!
For more information regarding nonprofit matching gifts and software, check out our top additional resources:
- Double the Donation’s Daily Demo — Amp up your fundraising efforts with the help of matching gifts! Check out a demo from Double the Donation to learn more.
- 360MatchPro’s Matching Gifts: The Expert’s Guide — Read up on more invaluable matching gift information with 360MatchPro’s guide to promoting, managing, and tracking nonprofit matching gifts.
- 360MatchPro’s Top Matching Gift Companies — Partnering with an established corporate matching gift program is a surefire way to rack up online donations. Get started with 360MatchPro’s top matching gift companies.
Comments are closed.